Sunday, October 28, 2012

Eleven Months


This month, Baby Grady's picture with Bruce de Bruce is a bit unconventional. Because, when I tried to take one in the regular pose, this happened:




It seems that every few days lately someone expresses awe that this little boy I'm hanging out with is the baby I used to have. Like, wait, that's the same person? And I feel puzzled, because obviously I did not trade him in. And he actually doesn't seem that big to me anymore. Like, he hasn't grown that much in the last 4-5 months, so what once was gigantic now just seems... a bit above average? But most people think he is a hulk.

A recent conversation at the market:

Cashier: Is that your little boy??!!???!!! (gesturing toward stroller)
Me: Yes...?
Cashier: But he's so big!!!
Me: Oh, yes, I guess so.
Cashier: But that was so fast!!!
Me: Um, yes, I suppose. Well... have a nice day!

Yeah, talking about how astoundingly big my baby is always ends up rather awkward. I always fumble over the facts, like, wanting to offer up his percentiles so that we can really discuss, in real terms, whether he is an enormous baby and if so, how enormous. But that is completely not what people are after and they really just want to talk generally about my giant baby. So I let them. In addition to looking big, he looks more and more like a little boy. It's exciting to see him being a little person, but also rather heartbreaking. Stop, time, just STOPIT.

He's a chatterbox these days, though still nothing that means a thing to us. He enjoys holding forth, however, and it's clear that he has a lot to say and we typically agree with him. He is terribly convincing in most matters. Somehow even without any words, he's become quite social. He loves bigger kids and seems to make friends easily. They all love him too and find him fascinating. The other day, a little boy invited Grady to the Halloween party at his school. He gave Jasper the directions and assured him that if they came to the party, he and his friends would take care of Grady and Jasper could just hang. It's a pretty appealing offer, I'm not gonna lie.

How much Baby Grady weighs: 23 lbs. (Yes, a shrinking month. Jasper finds this somewhat alarming, though I actually don't. Hopefully I'm right.)
How tall Baby Grady is: I have no idea. When we tried to get a measurement, he would only jump or sit, but not stand.

Size of Baby Grady's clothes: 12 month, 12-18 month, 18 month

Size of Baby Grady's shoes: 12-18 month or 5, but they are a bit big

Baby Grady's hair color: blond

Baby Grady's eye color: pretty darn brown
Number of teeth in Baby Grady's mouth: 8


Baby Grady's favorites: the pub, slides, cream cheese, grilled cheese, any cheese, pizza (with cheese), green soup, peanut sauce, his dogs, "What I Am," "Call Me Maybe," his water table, bathtime, drinking water, strawberry ice cream, trying to eat sand

Baby Grady's least favorites: going to sleep, sleeping without a boob in his mouth, sometimes his stroller, the vacuum, the hair dryer

Number of first birthday parties currently being planned around this house: just the one

Number of Halloween costumes currently in some state of crafty half-doneness: 2-3, depending on whether you believe Jasper that he is not participating

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hehe... it's this soup I make with whatever the heck is in our CSA box. It always has some beans, some dark green leafies (hence the color), and some winter squash. I almost totally blenderize it so that it just has a few chunks. We like it, but Grady LOVES it.

      Delete
    2. That is lucky as it sounds like food that children would run from. Sounds delicious though.

      Delete