Friday, February 15, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day to me!

Untitled 

Yesterday I won roses from the building management at my giant office building. I have no idea how many winners there were, but I was stunned. Like everyone else in the world, "I never win anything!" It was one of those drawings where you put your business card in a fishbowl to enter. I love those, not because I ever win them (I really don't), but because I just don't have much use for business cards these days? Because no one has a rolodex anymore? And putting them in a contest fishbowl feels like something that isn't wasteful? 

The roses, delivered to me by two representatives from the building, were a garishly presented dozen long-stems in a giant gold box. I would have been horrified and possibly offended if they'd been from my husband. I mean, I would have tried to appreciate the thought, and I would have assumed he was just delirious with sleep-deprivation and perhaps his finger slipped when he was trying to order me the apricot tulips. 

The good news is that my roses were devoid of baby's breath, so I didn't have to wonder whether building management wanted to take me to prom in 1985. 

Far more thrillingly, yesterday also brought the arrival of Baby Grady's first craft project! Could it be any cuter? Sweet, chubby little handprints... arggghhhh... Immma gonna eat you up, baby!

  Untitled 

I can't for the life of me figure out how they managed to put paint on his hands and then transfer it to the paper, without covering the entire baby, outfit, teaching staff, and five-county area in paint. I can't feed the baby a cream-cheese sandwich with so little mess. Professionals, is what I'm saying.

In other Hallmark-holiday news, I apparently missed the memo on Valentine's themed outfits. If you are under the age of five(?)(I'm guessing?) it is a given that upon the day of February 14th you will wear red or pink and preferably also with hearts or the phrase "my mommy thinks I'm a stud" and other general dapperness. So, I'll admit, this is absolutely the sort of thing I might willfully opt not to partake in. I would think, "So silly; my kid does not care; not buying special themed outfit; done." And that would be fine. But. You guys. I didn't even realize it was a thing! I didn't willfully opt out; I just... missed it. It didn't even occur to me. So, I felt like kind of a loser when I picked the baby up from daycare and there was a roomful of toddlers in red and my kid in a brown onesie and blue sweatpants.

[Thing one: I really don't care for the baby in brown. Thing two: I didn't dress him. Thing three: If I had, I wouldn't have done any better, because hey, it's daycare, and that's when I use the clothes I don't really like anyway. Thing four: Thankfully they'd taken the Valentine's photos on a prior day when he was dressed somewhat cuter.]

I wonder if there is still time to get a toddler-sized powdered wig on Etsy for Monday...



No comments:

Post a Comment